Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Friday 2 December 2011

More Spots of Colour

Continuing with my winter goal of working with small pieces, laying down one spot of colour, leaving and laying the correct spot (hue, saturation, value and temperature) next to it with no mixing- and with the hope of creating a small illusion that reads as intended. And to increase the pressure - putting a time limit on each to prevent me from overworking them.

I am really enjoying doing these.  All are water-soluble oils and the surfaces vary - another part of my experimenting with these. All are gessoed with white ( with some pigment added for colouring)  or black gesso using a small foam roller to create a uniform surface with some tooth.

Up to this point my preference for working with oils has been linen but I continue to be really pleased with the  Terra Skin but need the gesso added  to reduce the slick surface and to give it some tooth.
Has anyone tried the TerraSkin with water paints?

To see the brushwork in more definition go to Daily PaintWorks and find my work then open the pieces and view using their magnifier system. Really neat!

First Snow  9x12
Oil on masonite board on black gesso 

Flower Lady 6x8
Oil on Linen on gesso coloured dark red 
Drawn with white China Marker on linen treated with gesso coloured with acrylic pigment
Go for it !  6x8
Oil on TerraSkin on black gesso

 
Jamie Time  6x8
Oil on Terra Skin on black gesso 
Hey, I'm Open!    6X8
Oil on Terra Skin  on black gesso
Drawing ( top) using red water soluble pencil to establish placement
  and do final drawing with white China Marker then  spray with water and wipe off red drawing
( China marker not affected by water)
On Terra Skin with black gesso 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.