Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Saturday 15 June 2013

Another Good Read




Continuing  with re-reading some of my favorite art books while travelling away from Comox.

I also ordered two new Andrew Loomis  books that I just finished reading for the first time: Creative Illustration and Successful Drawing. I have previously read his Drawing the Head and Hands and Figure Drawing for All its Worth  , both of which I found a worthwhile read.

Loomis was one of Americans more respected illustrators. His books were first published in the 1940s and his originals fetch a big price. All four have been re- released and sell for about $30 each. Great value.

I was concerned that Creative Illustration might not apply to my interest in landscape and figurative drawing and painting. Boy, was I wrong. This is an excellent book that should be on most artist shelves. Loomis does a great job describing line, form, composition, perspective and an outstanding job on working with values - for  creating tone and shape.

A particularly interesting chapter describes how the great American illustrator Howard Pyle organized his values – pushing his subjects into light, dark, and two mid-tones (mid tone light and mid tone dark) and the difficulty particularly in assigning to the mid tones.  Just cannot re- read enough any good description on organizing values – and this is one of the best.

The book includes excellent examples that remind me a bit of the examples in Edgar Payne’s great book on composition- Composition of Outdoor Painting.




The other book, Successful Drawing, I found to have limited interest for me. Good sections specific to drawing and probably worth the investment early in an artists development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.