Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Tuesday 4 March 2014

Four Day Fundamentals Workshop - Done!

Digital value and shape Demo 

Another  four day workshop on  the Fundamentals for Landscape Painters is over . Had a great group of keen painters in oils and acrylics. These folks were on site an hour before it was scheduled to start and I almost had to throw them out most nights. And they worked hard. Each received an extensive set of notes in advance and it was apparent that they had done their homework. Makes the class go much smoother if they come in prepared. 

We had fun and learned a lot together. 




A few days before the workshop I purchased the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- 2014 edition. Have never tried digital sketching but was hoping it would be useful for my own work and especially for teaching. Using Sketchbook Pro for Galaxy I demonstrated creating simple shapes of distinct value and colour - an approach to simplification. With a little practice I think it is going to be a great addition.



Small demo of negative painting and creating texture
Big thanks to my wife, Cathy, for having the group back to our home for dinner - and for dropping off my lunches. 



Have a demo next week in Nanaimo and a two day Introduction to Plein Air  workshop May3/4.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.